A Rainy Day Note

Sunday, October 29, 2017

I had every intention of sitting down and sharing a really funny post all my lady friends would relate to. But you'll have to wait for that gem a little longer. I wasn't feeling the funny today. And that's ok. I mean it's raining, it's Sunday, it's nearing the end of the year. A time when you kinda reflect on what's gone down, what hasn't gone down, and at least for me really start to think about 2018. I should also be getting my period any minute so like that, too.


The mix of all the above can really put you in a funk. Does your brain ever run itself into a deep hole of comparison? It feels like everyone in my age group is in one of two buckets. Successfully killing it or slowly figuring it out. I fall in the latter. When I think about 18 year old Annie (10 years ago!) graduating from high school she would have never guessed she'd be in that bucket. But here I am. I won't go into details because like, why purposefully humiliate myself on the Internet more than I need to? But this past year feels like it's been a speed bump on the road to the other side. And that can make you feel like a failure.

But if you know me you might know I don't believe in regrets. I don't even regret the dumb tattoos I have because that's who I was when I was that confident 18 year old.  I wouldn't change much that got me to this point. (Except maybe my college major) That being said, I'm still mulling over whether my lack of remorse in life makes me a sociopath or not. That's for another day and another therapy session.

The other day when I was complaining about a long run I needed to do for a race that I'm training for someone told me a story about this bad ass woman. This normal midwestern bitch who ran this ridiculous race a million miles long and beat everyone, even the men. (Not that I should have to say even the men but ya know, worth noting). My 8 miles were like 1% of her journey. And when asked how she mentally does it she said something like, "I know there will be times where I'll want to quit and give up and wonder why did I do this. But ride the wave: you will experience highs and lows and will likely be moving slow during the lows but when the highs come; ride that wave like there’s no tomorrow.” 

So even though I hate the person who told me that story because they made my 8 miles feel insignificant when to me it felt big and awful, I do agree that in running and life we just gotta ride the shitty waves.

If you've got the Sunday Scaries today or the fucking 28 year old scaries this year, just ride it out. There's wine or a nap or maybe a bigger paycheck and a better love in your future. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan