No Spend November

Friday, November 3, 2017

The first step in overcoming something is admitting there is a problem right? Well here I am laying my cards on the table! I can talk myself into (and out of) anything. I can rationalize whatever it is my heart desires. I can talk myself into buying something and I can talk myself out of going to the gym. I can rationalize another glass of wine or dessert or even that risky text message (am I right?). And I can confidently reason that laundry should wait because I deserve to watch an episode of Chicago PD.


So this month I've challenged myself to "No Spend November". Before you go whaaat? Let me explain. I am working on reducing my impulse buying and trying to, how do you say, be fiscally responsible? Who here can attest to NEEDING a new outfit for your weekend plans? or deserving that little pick me up after a shitty week? Anyone else go shopping on their lunch break everyday? No? Just me...? I have so many random things that I've purchased from TJ Maxx on a lunch break that still have tags on them or are in the back seat of my car in a bag. Therefore, it is safe to say I can go one month without buying something unless I NEED it.

This means I won't be trying new beauty products unless I'm completely out of something. I won't be picking up a new nail polish because it's only $3.99 near the cash register (if you aren't getting your nail polish from Marshalls you're missing out on some steals). Truthfully, I should really probably just avoid Target all together. I'm going to actually use the groceries I buy. I've given myself a smaller budget than what I normally pretend to stick to for what I've labeled food and entertainment. I mean this single girl's gotta stay on scene.

Today is day 3. It feels like day 5 or 7. So far here's what I've experienced....

  •  I went to Target for some necessities and suddenly needed discounted Halloween decor. I've never decorated for a holiday ever. Luckily the candy was only 30% off so that was easy to avoid. I don't get why it wasn't 50% but fine. I also suddenly needed new pajamas and cell phone case. I successfully left with only the items I intended to buy. Win. 
  • I stayed out later than expected last night so I didn't make a salad for lunch today. This morning I looked at the lettuce and threw it in the garbage. I made a shitty sandwich to prevent myself from going to Panera. Instead of any of those options I ate cake at the office for lunch ($$ saver and mood booster). Around 3 PM I was caught red handed eating my second piece of cake (still didn't buy Panera).  Win.
  • Tonight I went to Dick's to get a few necessary items because I'm an athlete. I browsed the clearance rack and almost, almost convinced myself I needed a quarter zip that a woman who hunts would wear. (Just trying to be well rounded for all those Tinder boys.) Left with what I needed. Win. 
  • By the end of the day I was in a bad mood (after eating 2 slices of cake I don't know how that's possible). So I said "fuck it, I'm getting a $3 face mask for my Friday night Netflix binge" This should be a no item but like I said, I can rationalize anything. And I don't know if you knew but sheet masks are like coconut oil and fix everything. I bought a serum instead that will last me several Netflix binges. Economical - I say win. 
All in all, I think I'm doing swimmingly well, don't you? It's going to be tough. I might cheat. I'll probably talk myself into quitting. But I'm really trying to take an extra moment to say, "Do I need this? Or do I just want this? Am I doing this because I'm bored?" Plus, now I'll have the opportunity to wear and unpack all the random shit I've bought on my lunch breaks. 

2 comments:

  1. Omg are you in my head??! I just read this to my husband Lol
    I seriously miss your face!!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan